What We Believe
Our Statement of Faith
- God - We believe that there is only one sovereign God, eternally existent in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is the independent Creator of the heavens and the universe and is all-knowing, all-powerful, just, loving, completely truthful, and holy.
Cf. Genesis 1:1, 26, 27; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Isaiah 6:3; Titus 1:2; John 3:16; 1 Chronicles 29:11-12.
- The Bible - We believe that the Bible (66 books: 39 Old Testament books and 27 New Testament books) is the Word of God — supernaturally inspired, inerrant, and infallible. It is our supreme authority in all matters of faith, doctrine, and conduct. We also affirm its sufficiency, clarity, and necessity for genuine Christian living.
Cf. 2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Psalms 119:105; Psalms 19:7-11; Proverbs 30:5.
- Salvation - We believe that salvation, with its forgiveness of sins, impartation of a new nature, and eternal life, is a free gift from God. This gift is received when a person trusts in Jesus Christ to be his only Savior and Lord. It is given by God’s grace and cannot be earned by man through good works, baptism, church membership or any other means.
Cf. Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 14:6; John 1:12; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Romans 5:1.
- Baptism - We believe that water baptism by immersion is an act of obedience to Christ’s command. It is a public confession of our personal faith in Jesus Christ. As Christ died for our sins, we were raised from death; we walk in newness of life with Him.
Cf. Matthew 28:19; Mark 1:9; Colossians 2:12; Romans 6:3-4.
- Jesus Christ - We believe that Jesus Christ in the flesh was both God and man, that He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and and that He was born of a virgin. He lived a sinless life. He was crucified, and He died to pay the penalty for our sins. By His blood, the Lord Jesus Christ made a perfect sacrifice for sin once and for all time.
He was raised from the dead on the third day. Later, He ascended to the Father’s right hand where He reigns as the Head of the Church and intercedes for believers. We believe He is coming again, bodily and visibly, to the earth to set up His Kingdom.
Cf. Matthew 1:22-23; Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-5,14; Hebrews 4:14-15; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; Romans 1:3-4; Acts 1:9-11; 1 Timothy 6:14-15; Titus 2:13; Ephesians 1:22; Hebrews 7:25.
- Every Christian’s Mission - We believe that it is God’s will and command for every Christian to be actively engaged in telling others how to establish a personal relationship with God, through faith in Jesus Christ, and in discipling those who respond to the good news of salvation.
Cf. 2 Timothy 1:7-8, 4:2; 2 Corinthians 5:19-20; Matthew 28:19-20.
- The Holy Spirit - We believe that the Holy Spirit is God and possesses all Divine attributes. He indwells all believers and baptizes them all at the moment they trust in Jesus Christ to be their only Savior and Lord. He controls all true believers and empowers them to live the Christian life in response to their obedience, confession of sins, and submission to Him.
Cf. Romans 8:9-11; 2 Corinthians 3:17; John 16:7-13; Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 1 Corinthians 12:12; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 5:25; Ephesians 5:18.
- Good Works - We believe that good works are not the means to salvation but the expected byproduct in the life of a true believer in Christ. The evidence of true salvation and true faith is repentance, good works, and changed lives. It is every believer’s responsibility to pursue a life of good works through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Cf. Ephesians 2:8-10; Galatians 6:9-10; Matthew 5:16; 1 Timothy 6:18.